89 south 10th st. suite 100 / minneapolis mn 55403
rhode island school of design, providence ri
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Apparel Design ‘03
minnesota center for arts education, minneapolis mn
Graduated from statewide Arts High School with specialty in Media Arts ‘99
apparel job experience:
k.gerdes design company, minneapolis mn
Dec 2006 to current: Owner and founder of “katherine gerdes” apparel brand
- Research and design seasonal collections, currently offered at Design Collective and on www.katherinegerdes.com
- Develop and construct garments for retail and fashion shows including DIVA ’06 & ’07, Voltage; Fashion Amplified ’05 & ’07, and LVMH’s fashion show event in CT.
- Cast and coordinate models for photo shoots and runway shows.
- Manage and direct photo shoots for marketing and portfolio development.
- Responsible for all aspects of the business.
kohl’s corporation, milwaukee wi
May 2006 to current: Freelance Textile/Graphic Designer
- Clean, reduce and put textile prints into working repeat.
- Adjust and rework artwork based on designer’s requests.
- Develop new artwork for RTW printed apparel.
target corporation, minneapolis mn
March, 2005 to Dec 2006: Promoted to Associate Designer, Men’s textiles, outerwear, active and knits, Softlines
- Researched and developed seasonal trends, themes, concepts, color, fabric and styling
- Assembled and presented cohesive product presentations (including boards, tears, samples, etc) to sell concepts to merchants.
- Developed original print and pattern work for Target’s swim/active wear category.
- Designed and developed new styles for outerwear, swim, and sweaters.
- Assembled and ensured that textile design packages were complete, accurate and handed off on time and approved resulting strike offs, lab dips and hand looms.
- Ensured textile designs met merchant line plans, assortment strategies, price points and overall creative direction.
- Collaborated with Merchandising, AMC/Sourcing and Vendors to achieve product execution and maintain design integrity.
- Submit and approve print and pattern development for strike offs, lab dips and hand looms
target corporation, minneapolis mn
July, 2003 to March 2005: Assistant Designer, Men’s and Special Holidays, Softlines
Assists design team with all creative execution of product and design process:
- Researched seasonal trends, themes, colors, styling, fabrics, and trims
- Assembled presentation boards including: trend, brand concept and merchandised adjacency boards
- Initiated and participated in computer pilots for new CAD FTP programs, garment development systems and digital presentation formats for all softlines areas.
- Illustrated technical flats and floats
- Assembled garment development packages
- Communicated and assisted direction of outside partners and vendors
- Assumed responsibilities of athletic brand in between hiring of Senior Designer
Macintosh & PC: Adobe Design Suite (emphasis in Photoshop CS and Illustrator CS), Microsoft Office, Text Design (CAD), Freeboarders “Karat CAD,” Macromedia Flash, QuarkXpress, U4ia (CAD) by Lectra Systems. Experience with U4ia design packages in: painting, graphic art, stitches, repeats, wovens, knits, re-coloring, and texture mapping.
Able to work a design or collection from concept to finish including sketching, fabric rendering, technical flats, presentation boards and knowledge in creating garments (drafting, draping, knits, tailoring and construction). Skilled on a variety of machines: industrial straight stitch, and industrial over lock. Experienced in creating knits by hand or by use of knitting machines.
Avid snowboard for 13 years. AASI/ PSIA certified snowboard instructor, currently teaching with a local children’s ski/board school.
awards / recognition:
- Selected to be a contestant on Bravo’s 3rd season of Project Runway.
- Featured designer for “Voltage: Fashion Amplified” 2005 and 2007 (no show in 2006).
- Chosen to design a runway line for “POSH Studios” to represent their hair and makeup brand.
- Featured designer for the DIVA MN fashion show 2006 and 2007, Minnesota’s largest AIDS charity event (formally known as DIFFA –Design Industries Foundation Fighting AIDS).
- Featured in numerous publications including; Mpls/St.Paul Magazine, Star Tribune, Pioneer Press, Women’s Wear Daily, Providence Journal, The Rake and Fame Digest.
- Featured designer in advertising for annual RISD fashion show and exhibit.
- Part of MTV nationally aired feature on RISD concept design process.
- Target Internal Award for outstanding collaboration with design software developers.
- Target Recognition Award for initiating and implementing design of digital presentation boards.
- Selected to design the “Target Pink” line of products (from apparel to home accessories and other items), of which 100% of profits benefit the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
References available upon request.